Monday, May 07, 2007

From Abbostford to Montreal

So on Saturday Mike Woddard came by our training with a stack of envelopes. Inside were our placements, the ones we've been eagerly awaiting.
He picks them up, waves them about, and then Dave Beck (MC) says that we're not going to find out during Mike's session, not even till the end of the next one. That's like 2 hours of the envelopes being in the room, without us being able to read them. What's more, we had a 24 hour period where we couldn't tell anyone about it. We had to pray about it, and not talk to people about it, not anyone.

In October, when driving into Montreal, I got this feeling, an overwhelming feeling, that God was calling me there. There's a lot that God could be up to in that city, and I believe that he's doing something. There are a few other Christians I know in Montreal and they're seeing things too.

When I got my envelope I was surprised with the words Montreal Metro. Interesting, you may say. I had spent about a month psyching myself up for seeing anything else. I knew God was calling me to Montreal, but I didn't want to be totally disappointed if he'd decided to use me elsewhere. I mean God's moving everywhere, and he's working in people everywhere, so why not be willing to move anywhere to serve him? Also, everywhere else had this mysterious adventurism to it. The possibility of not knowing had excited me. Yet, after thinking about it a while, I had known that Montreal was my destination, so I was happy about this decision.

Now, not talking to anyone about it was interesting. There were some people who wanted to learn sign language just to be able to communicate with others without talking. Some people wanted to talk about the future, but realized that it would imply their next destination.

Anyways, the time's over and so I now know that I'm in Montreal with James Lucas and Lydia Low!! Oh my goodness, could God have blessed me any more? I mean seriously, my city, my closest new staff friends...
Sounds kinda weird, I don't really know James that well, but I've known him the longest. Last night we talked about stuff and it was nice to get to know someone I so highly respect.

So today we start MPD (Ministry Partner Development, or support team) training at 8am, can you believe it?? 8AM! I feel tired just thinking about that time of the morning. I am actually tired just getting up at 6:45 to get ready for 8am. I seem to have some extra time, or I'm just stealing it to update y'all. Well, although I don't look forward to having to MPD once I get back, and I don't look forward to sitting any longer, I do look forward to the understanding and knowledge that I will acquire.

On Wednesday (the 1st day) Dave Beck said that by the end of our time we'd all be the best of friends and we'd remember everyone's name. I laughed, thinking this room is too full for any of that. But it's right, at least for the campus staff. There are a few other staff who've made their presence desired and made good friends with us, but most of them just stuck to themselves. I think 30 campus staff would be intimidating, so I don't blame them. But I now have like 25 new friends! People I'll see at future training and be able to talk to online (if I work at my lack of communicating skills, in general). People who'll be going through similar stuff to me, during MPD and the first days on campus.

Actually MPD really frightens me, to the point that I'm having to work at trusting God through this. If I don't have my full support raised by August, does God love me any less? And is God big enough to get my full support raised by August? Are a few questions that might personify what's going on in my heart. Could you please pray for me, that God would bless me abundantly and that I'd be on my knees daily at the mercy of his provision?

No comments: